I believe early childhood educators daily lay the foundation of excellence for the next generation of innovators through fostering creativity, critical thinking, collaboration, and effective communication.
My thoughts here are simply intended to be my reflections on my journey as both a learner and leader. I share them with the hope they will spark others on their journey too. That being said, I keep these quotes in mind:
“The journey is the destination.” -Dan Eldon
“Success is a journey, not a destination.” -Arthur Ashe
I was recently asked, “What non-negotiables do you want to have in place in your building as a campus principal?” by one of my school district leaders. Below was my response, in a nutshell.
My non-negotiables align with the 6 Exceptional Systems of No Excuses University (based on the book No Excuses University by Damen Lopez):
- Universal belief in the achievement of all students, a Growth Mindset is crucial
- Authentic collaboration that transforms the way we work together to achieve goals
- Tight standards alignment for curriculum; vertically aligned curriculum
- Ongoing formative & summative assessment practices that align to the standards
- Data management practices that engage/involve students & teachers alike
- Targeted intervention model that meets the need of all at-risk students (both behavior and academic) in a proactive fashion/at the point of need
I would also add:
- Building a culture of innovation, creativity, reflection and risk-taking
- Technology integration that is transformative not static
- Relationships that last; “People don’t care how much you know, until they know how much you care.” -John Maxwell
- Designing engaging work
- Employing research based instructional practices as a norm
- Having a vertically aligned and implemented social emotional curriculum & school wide Positive Behavior Supports
- Engaging parents and the community in both traditional and nontraditional ways
As you read over my non-negotiables, what would you add? What are your non-negotiables in your building when you are the campus principal?
One thought on “Non-Negotiables”
4 C’s – Collaboration, Creativity, Critical Thinking, and Communication.